incited by some criticism that appeared in IMDb and also determined to prove I'm not as picky as I look for the second time in a few days I get to write a footnote about a movie I've seen recently. On this occasion, the choice is Goodfellas Martin Scorsese, whose English title -Goodfellas - it does, perhaps, more justice, although it is possible that what I want to talk not just of this work of New York director, but all his films, which, like Woody Allen, I have been interested and excited, more with each new film. GoodFellas is probably the one that best defines the film of this genius, this freak who has managed to rise up to the Olympus of the Seventh Art without betraying himself. Some will say, surely, that Taxi Driver or Raging Bull are better, but here we speak not only of quality (decided against such masterpieces would certainly complicated), but also representative. And in this, the film starring Ray Liotta, Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci is unparalleled.
As I say, at first I was very funny the way of making films of Scorsese. The first movie he saw was precisely Taxi Driver and, although the interpretation of De Niro seemed impressive, I was not too involved in the story, so I got to thinking that it was not cathartic enough. Then, to my misfortune, fell into my hands Edge, starring the sometimes-heinous-Nicholas Cage and now believe the only black (really black) in a filmography slate. The reaction could therefore be more negative, and thereafter began to avoid the Scorsese film. Actually, the surprise did not come until last year when, in early January, outside the cinema to see The Aviator , driven mostly by my aspirations of doing something of social life in the icy Sweden. A lot of people disappointed by this film, it is true, and even critics who had started to fall from a donkey; but I thought it was excellent, with a script, a performance and really made a picture very different from most of what he had witnessed in the projection room (gems like Resident Evil 2 , for example). And what's more important: did you begin to understand the vision of its director and its objectives in the time to get behind the camera. Later I saw Raging Bull and just confirmed my impressions.
The Martin Scorsese film not so much to tell stories and point to events and environments. I mean, while in a Spielberg film, for example, the story begins when that something special is happening and the consequences that this entails, tracking all to the last and definitive Scorsese's works strive to encompass a phenomenon, a life, an underworld, without focusing too much on particular stories or critical events. They are, therefore, lots of fresh, covering the heterogeneity of a lifetime, with some claims both moralizing and documentaries. The issue really is usually always the same: the rise and fall. Almost all his films have a clear descent into hell of their protagonists, and other recognizable many times repeated in different ways but similar. We can not wait, then, that Scorsese will surprise us with arguments made, plots detective or things like that on the contrary, the development of the footage is usually based on the submission of certain crucial moments, not necessarily linked, if denote some evolution, it only concentrates on the main character or the world around him, almost never in the frame. His vision is global, partial rarely, while his genius lies not in plot or in the form in which solves the intricacies, but in the drawing made of the atmosphere, characters , attitudes, situations ... In Goodfellas, is a marvel to see with absolute precision shaping the contours of a universe that seems to know perfectly, as if it had been raised in a band of gangsters. His portrait has overwhelming force based largely in the supreme performance of the trio (especially Pesci) and unbeatable soundtrack, which gives a perfect rhythm to the film, although outstanding, especially the maturity of its director, his honesty, his crudity, the natural way is to capture the intricacies of the mafia, as if it were a reality with a hidden camera, but without the poisonous hypocrisy or frivolity that usually characterize such programs.
This is my recommendation today, so you can see that I speak not only of films-Nord or I like to criticize them for sport. I'm pretty tired and I do not want to continue giving them the tin, so postpone the story of my ups and downs for another day I find more energy. I fortune is propitious.
Thursday, August 31, 2006
Underactive Thyroid And Herpe Outbreaks
Sessions cinema course at Overlook
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment